A lettuce-based salad, with a nod to Persian flavours, jewelled with crumbled feta, ripe cherries, crunchy pistachios and dressed with a pomegranate vinaigrette.
This salad is very much a homage to ingredients that are associated with Persian cuisine. It is also a homage to the summer season with its refreshing feel and seasonal ingredients.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: N/A
For the Pomegranate Vinaigrette
• 70 ml olive oil
• 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
• 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
• Juice of half a lime
• 2 tbsp honey
• 2 tsp Za'atar spice blend
• Salt and Pepper (to taste)
For the Salad
• 180 g lettuce / mixed leaves (roughly chop if using lettuce, mixed leaves should remain intact)
• 1 - 2 celery sticks (medium sliced)
• 1 red onion (finely sliced)
• 150 g cucumber (I use baby or Persian cucumbers - quartered then medium sliced)
• 250 g cherries (pitted and halved)
• 15 - 20 g fresh mint leaves (small leaves can be kept, roughly chop larger leaves)
• 100 g feta (crumbled)
• 40 g pistachios (shelled and roughly chopped or bashed in a pestle and mortar)
Pomegranate Vinaigrette - Make the dressing a minimum of 1 hour before you want to serve the salad to let the flavours infuse. Take a jar with a lid and add all the pomegranate vinaigrette ingredients. Screw the lid on and give it a good shake. Taste and adjust elements to taste. Place the jar in the fridge until ready to serve.
Serving the Salad - Layer your ingredients for the salad in a bowl. Give the jar of dressing a good shake and pour over the salad. Using salad tongs / spoons, toss the salad to ensure it is evenly coated with the pomegranate vinaigrette. Serve immediately after dressing.
Originally created by Mersedeh Prewer for Saffron and Herbs.