How do you like your eggs on a... well anytime of the day really? Traditionally this is called a Persian omelette however that throws people a bit as it's not a classic style omelette so I call this dish Poached Persian eggs with Puy Lentils & Feta.
Super easy to make AND doesn't have to be for breakfast only - call me controversial, but you *could* enjoy this dish for brunch, lunch or even dinner too (or of course breakfast if you want to)! Make it a bigger meal with a side like skinny fries or even smashed potatoes.
• 1 diced onion
• Can chopped tomatoes
• Garlic finely chopped
• 2 tsp advieh
• 2 tsp turmeric
• Puy lentils (already cooked)
• 1-3 eggs (depending on pan size)
• Vegetable oil
• Bread to toast
1) Fry onion on medium/high heat until golden brown
2) Add garlic and fry for a further minute
3) Reduce heat to medium and add advieh and turmeric; mix well
4) Add chopped tomatoes, a cup of water, salt and pepper to taste
5) Simmer sauce for 10 minutes then mix in Puy Lentils (I've used Merchant Gourmet pre-cooked ones) to pan and stir well*
6) Use the back of a spoon to create rounded wells for eggs (depending on your pan size use 1 to 3)
7) Carefully break each egg and place into each of the hollows
8) Cover pan with a lid leaving it partially open to allow some heat and moisture to escape
9) Cook until eggs reach your preferred level of doneness
10) Finish by crumbling feta and chopped basil over the top and dunk some crusty bread in and enjoy
*at this point I separate the mix into two small pans so I could make one eggless vegan version for me (don't come at me... I don't actually like poached eggs haha!) and one gooey egg version for Tom!
View Instagram video guide here: